Election Expert Mission to Morocco
The overall objective of this assignment was to contribute to support democracy, institution building and transparency in Morocco in the context of the country’s local elections currently scheduled for the 4th of September.
The specific objective of the assignment was to provide reporting to the European External Action Service (EEAS) and the European Commission (EC) on the ongoing electoral process during and after the elections. The experts also provided the EEAS and EC with an analysis relating to recommendations with a view to further aligning all elements of the electoral process to international standards, in line with the criteria contained in the EC Communication on Electoral Assistance and Observation [COM(2000)191].
The mission was implemented by three experts and consisted of:
- drafting periodic analyses and reports on the immediate pre-election period, the elections and the immediate post-election period;
- keeping the FPI Election Observation Unit, EEAS Democracy and Election Division in Brussels and EU Delegation in Morocco permanently informed of the main events via concise memos;
- analyzing the status of the implementation of recommendations presented by the previous EU Election Expert Missions and by other observation missions and other important EU exercises in the field of democracy and election (ex. preparation of the Democracy Action Plan);
- preparing a final report including recommendations for future electoral processes;
- Contributing to the content of any declaration on the elections by the EEAS, if needed and requested by EEAS Democracy and Election Division.