Final Evaluation of the Regional Political Integration and Human Security Support Programme
The objective of the evaluation, which had been foreseen in the Technical and Administrative Provisions of the project’s Financing Agreement, was to provide the decision-makers of IGAD, EAC, COMESA and the European Union with sufficient information to:
• Make an overall assessment about the past performance of the project, paying particularly attention to the impact of the project actions against its objectives and activities that made a difference to the end beneficiaries;
• Identify key lessons and propose practical recommendations to be used in the framework of future similar actions in the ESA region.
The following activities were undertaken by three experts during the implementation of the mission:
• Analysis and assessment in detail of the following documents:
- Legal texts and political commitments pertaining to the project / programme;
- Regional Strategy Paper (RSP) and Indicative Programme (RIP) EDF 9th and 10th;
- COMESA, EAC and IGAD strategic and operation documents;
- Financing Agreement;
- RPIHSSP quarterly, annual progress and final reports, and other technical reports;
- EU Result Oriented Monitoring Reports 2011 and 2012, and eventual other external and internal monitoring reports of the project;
- Project’s mid-term evaluation report and other relevant audit reports;
- Supplies/services contracts contracted by EAC in the RPIHSSP framework;
- Relevant documentation from IGAD, EAC and COMESA;
- Relevant policy and planning documents from IGAD, EAC and COMESA.
• Analysis and assessment of the integration and impact of cross cutting issues in the project;
• Formulation and finalisation of the requested reports (inception, final).