The objectives of the evaluation were the following:
• To undertake the final evaluation of the Centre for Migration Management and Information (CIGEM) in order to identify key lessons and propose practical recommendations so as to improve the future actions undertaken by the EU in the migration sector;
• To provide with an independent evaluation of the performances, results and impact of the CIGEM programme to the External cooperation services of the European Union.
The project has been implemented by two experts and the following activities have been developed:
• Evaluation of the project formulation:
- The project objectives have been evaluated by taking into account the political situation regarding migration issues, from 2007 to 2015;
- The project has been evaluated using the broad evaluation criteria defined in the EC’s guidelines on evaluation of programmes (relevance, efficiency, impact, sustainability), focusing on the budget preparation.
• Evaluation of the implementation of the project:
- The level of implementation of the project has been evaluated;
- The project management and organisation have been assessed;
- Evaluated the relevance, efficiency, impact, sustainability of the project against the objectives and their capacity to reach the beneficiaries. In particular, the efficiency and the impact of the Malian National Migration Policy in co-development projects, financed by regions working under the CODEV (Committee on Development ) part of the Programme, have been analysed;
- Evaluated the stability of the partnerships, considering the role, motivation, status and expertise of the partners;
- The integration of the CIGEM with the other programmes in the migration field financed by various donors has been assessed, including the mutual strengthening of these programmes;
- The financial management of the project has been evaluated;
- Evaluated the impact of the visibility actions organised and the communication products produced under the programme.
• Formulation of recommendations for future actions.