The overall objective of this assignment is to contribute to the consolidation of democracy and to support institution building and transparency in the Togolese Republic in the context of the country’s presidential elections expected to be held in April 2015.
The primary purpose of the Electoral expert mission is to collect factual information concerning this electoral process, to provide reporting to the European External Action Service (EEAS) and the European Commission (EC FPI) on the on-going electoral process during and after the elections.
The experts will also provide the EEAS and EC with an analysis relating to recommendations with a view to further aligning all elements of the electoral process to international standards. The objective of the Mission is to produce strategic analysis and reporting on the on-going electoral processes and to provide inputs for electoral reform as well as confidence-enhancing measures, during and after the elections. All this in line with the criteria contained in the Commission Communication on Electoral Assistance and Observation.
1. Analysing the national legislation, in particular concerning election administration, voter registration, candidate registration, campaign, media legislation, voting, counting and tabulation, transmission and publication of the results and complaints and appeals.
2. Assessing overall preparations of the Independent National Election Commission (CENI) and CELI for the Presidential elections
3. Assessing and analysing legal aspects of the activity of the election administration, in particular: a) the capacity of the election administration in interpreting the national legislation in a consistent manner; b) the role of the election administration in dispute resolution and election process supervision; and c) the conduct and effectiveness of complaints and appeals processes.
4. Assessing the follow-up of voter registration, election dispute resolution and electoral authorities’ interpretation of legal provisions.
5. Assessing the performance of the election administration and other governmental bodies responsible for administering elections concerning technical preparations for the election. Assessing election administration’s capacity, in relation to voter education initiatives, training of election officials, material production and distribution.
6. Analysing the risks of electoral violence and the underlying political reasons.
7. Analysing the status of the implementation of recommendations presented by the previous EEM and by other observation missions.
8. Liaise at a technical level with key individuals of the relevant election management bodies, judicial relevant bodies, government and political parties’ officials, regional, international organisations representatives and Civil Society Organisations, including domestic observers and media (for the sole purpose of collecting information an media coverage of the campaign, not to make public statements) in view of enhancing transparency of and confidence in the electoral process.
9. Assessing the pre-electoral and post-electoral situation in the light of international commitments and national legislation of Togolese Republic. The assessment may cover the following areas: (i) political situation in liaison with the EU Delegation, (ii) electoral framework, (iii) election administration, (iv) human rights and fundamental freedoms, (v) media, (vi) voter registration, security aspects, (vii) any other relevant issues relating to the elections, (viii) a thorough assessment of the implementation of the recommendations contained in the EU Election Expert Mission’s final report of 2010.
10. With respect to the polling and tabulation process and transmission of results, liaise closely with other observer organisations and bilateral missions from EU MS and provide information and analysis to EU HoMs with regard to the evaluation of the polls.
11. The assessment will follow up on the implementation of recommendations from the previous EU election-related missions, provide proposals for targeted recommendations to the authorities of the Togolese Republic to improve the electoral framework, and provide recommendations for the future EU involvement and EU Electoral support.